I want to ensure that I have effective communication with you. Please let me know if the Blog is an effective way to share strategies for working with your student(s). Please help know of more effective ways to communicate with you about happenings that impact the Hawthorn Academy community. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
January 16, 2018
It is a new year and we are excited as we look forward to the rest of this year and registration for next year. Please complete your INTENTS TO RETURN and REGISTRATION packets.
This week is our Science Fair - come see all the kids are doing through their research.
Monday, September 18, 2017
Saturday, September 9, 2017
- SEPTEMBER IS A BUSY MONTH
- The HOPE carnival is just around the corner. Come and support the school and our Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) - HOPE. Unlike a PTA, every penny HOPE raises as a PTO goes to the school and your kids. PTOs are to help raise funds for the school to provide needed equipment and events.
- Sept. 14 at West Jordan
- Sept. 22 at South Jordan
- Last year HOPE fundraising helped to purchase a mobile computer lab for South Jordan and put in the rubber surface at West Jordan under the big playground toy in the back.
- September is National Breakfast Month. With school starting back, our mornings are more hectic than ever. However, we need to make time in the mornings to eat breakfast. Studies show that children who eat breakfast are more creative and tend to do better in class and on tests. They also have fewer behavior issues in the classroom. Adults who eat breakfast tend to snack less during the day and receive more daily nutrients needed to stay healthy. The ideal breakfast would be made up of at least 3 food groups. An example is – 1 cup yogurt (meat/protein group), 1 orange (fruit group) and a slice of whole-grain toast (grain group).
Thursday, August 31, 2017
We have settled in and classes are going well. Thank you for helping us to make those first few days at Hawthorn Academy great. Please feel free to email me or call if you have any concerns.
Follow Hawthorn on Facebook! See which class is being featured and the fun things they are doing.Please make school a priority and it is easy for your student to fall behind after missing even a day. We miss your student too and all that they add to the class. A few things you might do to help your student be ready each day are
- The night before complete homework and make sure it is in folders and backpacks.
- Get a good night's rest each night and have a healthy breakfast.
- Fix lunch the night before if they are bringing a sack lunch.
- Check the weather and leave a little extra time for any heavy traffic, bad weather, or other issues that may cause delays.
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Thank you to everyone for your support of the library at both buildings. We have been able to increase our books at both campuses. Students check out between 1,042 and 1, 200 books each month. Reading is so important. Please continue the practice over the summer break of having your students weekly check out books at your public library. If a child can read, they can increase their success in every aspect of their learning.
Friday, March 31, 2017
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. In conjunction with the State Board of Education, we are providing for you information on key areas. See attached for the pdf: http://health.utah.gov/vipp/topics/rape-sexual-assault/resources.html. According to the Utah Health Status Updates:
- Sexual Violence 2008, sexual violence affects 1 in 3 women in Utah at some point in their lives;
- 1 in 8 women and 1 in 50 men in Utah will experience rape.
- Utah ranks 9th in the nation for reported rape according to FBI Uniform Crime Reports.
- The Youth Risk Behavior Survey revealed that in 2013, 7.3% of Utah high school students reported that they were physical forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to.
- Sexual violence can have a negative effect on health throughout the lifespan.